South Texas College
Job Announcement 2009 – 4005
Job Title: DIRECTOR OF COMPREHENSIVE ADVISING AND MENTORING SERVICES
Department: Office of Comprehensive Advising and Mentoring Services
Reports To: Dean of Student Support Services
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary: Competitive salary based on education and experience
Starting date: Immediately
Closing date: Open until filled. Screening to begin April 27, 2009
Directs and supervises personnel engaged in providing academic advising services for students by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Ensures the academic advising services are in support of the instructional programs and in keeping with the philosophy and purpose of the College. Provides comprehensive advising to help students reach their educational, personal, and career objectives
2. Trains, orients, assigns, supervises and develops Academic Advisors and Beacon Mentors in accordance with College policy, procedures and practices to ensure compliance with the highest possible quality performance standards
3. Manages budget, prepares fiscal reports, contracts and all related reports to departmental expenditures; validates and approves all staff travel and mileage reimbursement
4. Evaluates the effectiveness of advising services and programs, using appropriate data
5. Develops, maintains and implements long-range planning activities and departmental programs
6. Interacts with school districts, local colleges/universities to improve advising services
7. Provides supervision of the Beacon Mentoring Program
8. Analyzes procedures and techniques to improve quality of academic advising service
9. Performs other duties as assigned
Supervises the Advising Centers and Beacon Mentoring Program at all STC campuses
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Excellent written and communication skills and interpersonal skills
2. Demonstrated commitment to the South Texas College philosophy of education
3. Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with a diverse, multi-cultural student population
4. Demonstrated managerial skills
5. Subject to a national criminal background check under STC Policy
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
*Master's degree in Counseling, Psychology, Social Work, Counseling and Guidance, or related field
*Five years experience in higher education, preferably in a community college setting and/or in an administrative or supervisory capacity
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of students, faculty, staff, administrators, and the general public.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
HOW TO APPLY: Submit letter of application, STC application, resume, copies of
transcripts (official transcripts required BEFORE assignment begins) and five professional
references with addresses and phone numbers to:
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
2501 W. Pecan Blvd.
McAllen, TX 78501
No person shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any program or activity sponsored or conducted by South Texas College on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, veteran status, or disability.