South Texas College
Job Announcement 2011-4004
Job Title: ASSISTANT COMPTROLLER
Department: Business Office
Reports To: Comptroller
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary: Commensurate with Education & Experience
Starting Date: Immediately
Closing Date: Open until filled. Screening to begin August 29, 2011
Applies principals of accounting to analyze financial information and prepare financial reports. Supervises Business Office staff; analyzes and organizes office operations to ensure the efficient workflow.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Supervises, delegates and follows up on staff participating in a wide variety of fiscal activities such as preparation of reconciliations, reports, accounts payable, payroll, general ledger activity, and other fiscally related activity such as cashiering and other office activities and coordinates activities and projects of various Business Office departments.
2. Analyzes and organizes office operations and procedures and researches and develops resources that create timely and efficient workflow.
3. Serves as resource to update staff regarding rules, regulations and other changes affecting work flow, work duties and special assignments.
4. Implements and maintains internal control procedures to ensure the safeguarding of assets and reliability of accounting data.
5. Coordinates and assists with month-end closing process and the year-end closing process, annual financial report and audit.
6. Analyzes complex financial data and extracts and defines relevant information; interprets data for the purpose of determining past financial performance and/or to project a financial probability and prepares and reviews accounting transactions and reports when Comptroller determines as necessary.
7. Develops and prepares financial reports for financial analysis, projecting, trending results analysis, and budgeting.
8. Develops and prepares project plans and appropriate action steps and ensures proper completion.
9. Determines work procedures, prepares work schedules, expedites workflow and provides management and accounting guidance to subordinates; determines deadlines and plans staffing requirements for special fiscal projects; initiates and develops fiscal management reports as required for effective accounting and management practices and issues written and oral instructions.
10. Uses various software applications, such as spreadsheets, relational databases, statistical packages, and graphics packages to assemble, manipulate and/or format data and/or reports.
11. Exchanges non-routine information using tact and persuasion as appropriate requiring good oral and written communication skills.
12. Responds to audit reports, takes corrective management actions; initiates changes to meet discrepancies or noncompliance cited by the auditor.
13. Assumes responsibility and accountability for all tasks and duties assigned.
14. Assists in registration process.
15. Performs related duties as assigned.
Supervises and coordinates the work of professional level accounting staff. Oversees individual employer development and training and conduct performance appraisals for assigned staff.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Possesses knowledge of financial systems; demonstrated ability to coordinate and facilitate the design and implementation of automated accounting financial systems.
2. Excellent organizational skills.
3. Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines; ability to prioritize and work on multiple assignments.
4. Proficient in preparation of worksheets using Excel.
5. At least three years accounting experience, preferably in a higher education institution.
6. Proficient with ten key by touch and other office machines.
7. Security-sensitive position; subject to background checks.
8. Subject to a national criminal background check under STC policy
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
*BBA degree with a major in Accounting required.
*Masters degree preferred.
*Three years supervisory experience required.
*Three years experience with a financial records system, preferably the SCT/SunGard Software.
*Three years experience in a higher education institution preferred.
*CPA license preferred.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
HOW TO APPLY: Submit letter of intent, STC application, resume, copies of transcripts (official transcripts required BEFORE assignment begins) and five professional references with addresses and phone numbers to:
SOUTH TEXAS COLLEGE
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
2501 W. Pecan Blvd.
McAllen, TX 78501
No person shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under any program or activity sponsored or conducted by South Texas College on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, veteran status, or disability.
Position # 718184